Thursday, May 19, 2016

Recent Reads

The working world leaves so much time for reading. There is nothing I love more than curling up on the couch with my favorite throw and reading before bedtime or on Sunday afternoons. Something about getting lost in another's world is intriguing. 


I just read my first memoir and I have to say I was thoroughly impressed. Normally you can find me with a great fiction novel - a best seller that I expect to see in theaters someday. After my roommate recommended What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding and I finished, I am more willing to give other personal stories a chance. The book follows the single travel adventures of one of the writers of That 70's Show. She is so honest & hilarious without being over the top that it was actually a relatable story. I highly recommend it for those right out of school and would be a great beach read this summer. 

Before that, I finished The Luckiest Girl Alive. To be honest, it is another twisted novel expected to be in theaters this year and reminded me a lot of Gone Girl. It followed the life & shocking twist of an engaged, somewhat "mean girl." I was in the middle of the book at one point and had to go back a few pages after I physically stopped reading and thought to myself "wait, what?! this is real?!" Cant wait to see what Reese Witherspoon does with the screenplay. 

Last night, I started The Knockoff, a book that is claiming to be "outrageously stylish" & "wickedly hilarious." It was recommended to me by my mom who finished the novel not long ago. I am most interested because it seems to resemble the work environment I am in currently 50+ hours a week. But take that with a grain of salt as I am only 1 chapter in.

If you haven't read Me Before You yet, you have just 15 days to finish. It's a love story 100% guaranteed to make you shed a tear or two. Those tears are worth it as Jojo Moyes perfectly animates her characters making them feel like actual friends rather than a simple book cast. 

And speaking of novels coming to theaters (do you sense a trend here?) I read The Girl On the Train that everyone was talking about this past summer and was slightly underwhelmed. Yes, it was a decent & easy read that didn't take much thinking, but it was honestly a little depressing. I felt for the main character, which arguably makes a decent book in itself, but finished it feeling "meh." Still worth the time in order to know the twists & turns before everyone else who's just on the bandwagon and sitting next to you in the movies.

What have you been reading recently? 

No comments:

Post a Comment