Monday, April 4, 2016

Weekend Recap: Charleston

I hate that returning to "reality" means returning to a gray, carpeted cubicle for 50 hours a week. Nothing makes this harder than returning from a three day weekend spent outside in none other than the beautiful Charleston, South Carolina. BUT I am lucky to have had spent the time away from the office eating and walking and eating and shopping and people watching and...eating. If you can't tell by now I spent a lot of the weekend doing what I do best - hah!



We made it down to Charleston just before noon on Friday after three hours of inching through a downpour. The weather was miserable on the drive down, so you can only imagine how excited I was to see some overcast sunshine once we arrived. After a brisk walk down King Street, Hayden and I made our way towards the venue of his brother's rehearsal dinner. We then had the honor of tasting the options for the food served that night. After several delicious dishes, his parents had the ultimate decision and picked a great variety of passed hors d'oeuvres, chef manned stations, and a serve yourself bar. The venue was absolutely gorgeous - I can't wait to share pictures after the wedding in August! For now - I am not giving anything away. Guess you'll just have to follow "Better Late than Never" to keep up (was that plug as obvious as I think it was?)

We spent Friday evening enjoying local beer at The Vendue, a hip rooftop bar close to the Battery and walking distance from some of my favorite Charleston restaurants including Pearlz Oyster Bar and Magnolia's

Saturday was great as we had no real plans. We spent a lot of the day strolling the sidewalks, watching the Cooper River Bridge runners come in, window shopping, venturing to the cute shops like Out of Hand in Mt. Pleasant, and people watching. The best find of Saturday was Callie's Hot Little Biscuit tucked away right off King Street for only those seeking it out to find. I had the most delicious country ham biscuits that I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Seriously considering ordering their biscuits & pimento cheese online. These little biscuits taste like God descended to craft them with his own hands. 




Saturday night we chose to enjoy a nice dinner at Pearlz Oyster Bar. I chose one of the many market fish choices of the night and asked for it blackened & with the chili sauce. Normally, the dishes come with red rice & asparagus, but I substituted the rice for the parmesan potatoes and will never look back. This little stack was sinful and the perfect accompaniment to the perfectly seasoned Grouper. I had pictures, but instead of clicking the "email" button on my phone I clicked "delete" ugh #monday

Sunday was absolutely gorgeous and made it hard to pack up and leave. The weather was, as Mrs. Parker would say, "what we would have ordered" and we took advantage of the sunshine with a 2.5 mile walk across the Ravenel Cooper River Bridge that morning. Afterwards, we made our way over to Sullivan's Island to dine at another favorite, Poe's Tavern. Their burgers are sinful & fries can be substituted for fried onion straws - so unique. Every bite is worth the indulgence!



After getting sunburned from simply eating lunch outside in a tank (welcome to the life of a super pale gal) it was time to head back to Charlotte to settle in before the new week. I spent the evening grocery shopping, plowing through laundry, and starting a new book, What I was Doing While You Were Breeding. I'll be sure to keep you posted on how I like it. 



Monday Feels for the Beautiful Weather







No comments:

Post a Comment